12.19.2008

13.1 miles

We did it. After training for more than 4 months, the Mason's have now run two half-marathons this fall. In November we ran one in Lubbock (actually in Ransom Canyon) with only about 100 other runners- most of whom were running the 5k. After the first four miles or so, we were pretty much running by ourselves since everyone had spread out. It was a great run, but it didn't really feel like a race. More like a 13.1 mile run just for the fun of it... which is not exactly my favorite way to spend a Saturday morning :). Not to mention we had to run some of the steepest, longest hills I've ever seen, but we made it!

still smiling at the finish

so proud of my hubby! i could never do it without him.

Last weekend, Dec. 14th, we ran another half at the Dallas White Rock Half-Marathon. I wish I had pictures to show for it.... but you'll just have to believe me when I say it was awesome! About 17,000 people ran in the race to benefit Scottish Rite Children's Hospital. It was completely different than the Ransom Canyon run. The starting line was a party with music playing, confetti, fire works and a jet fly over! Each mile marker of the race had a band - yes, mile 1 band was a handbell chior playing christmas songs - but the majority of the bands were loud, encouraging and motivational! There were people running with us the entire way and TONS of people cheering along the sides for 13.1 miles. We would even hear people cheering for us by name, since our names were printed above the numbers we wore. We got pretty tired in the middle of the race but just kept repeating, "We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us," to the rythym of our pace. The Lord gave us strength and we finished with smiles on our faces! What a blast!

We've now run three half-marathons in 2008! (I think I need to mention that Mark's 08 new year resolution was to become a runner.... I think he did just that!)

No comments: