11.08.2011

turkey shirt

I saw these cute turkey shirts on Lullaby Lubbock's blog a while back and was excited to make them for Reese and for Avery this year :) How cute are they?!! {more to come on our AWESOME trip to Tennessee to be with the Drakes and also with my brother... but for now... just turkey shirts}

Reeser and Aves were matching besties pretty much the whole time. adorable. {please disregard that one eye on her turkey fell off haha-  probably should have sewn it on instead of hot glue!}

Of course I forgot to take pictures as I went along in the process but here's a quick after-thought tutorial of sorts to show how easy it was to make :)

1. I bought $5 shirts from Target

2. Cut out strips of different colored fabric that I had leftover {about 18-15 inches long and maybe 2 inches wide}
{you can see in the above picture that I did a lose stitch at the bottom of the fabric to gather in and make the ruffle}

3. I actually did the gathering stitch on the machine when I made the shirts but you could also do it this way... 
 

and just thread the needle through the fabric loosely and then gather it up. make sure you tie a good knot in each end after you gather it so it doesn't unravel.

so it will look like this after you gather it (above) {when i did it on the machine, I went ahead and stitched a tight stitch at the top of the fabric too - so it wouldn't fray too much and I also stitched up the sides to keep it all gathered. you don't have to do this though}

4. gather as many colors of fabric stitches as you'd like. I did four and then layered them on the shirt to get them the length and order that I wanted.
5. cut out two circles for the turkey. one large and one small for the head.

6. I used Wonder Under (from hobby lobby) and ironed it all onto the shirt. SO EASY! I cut small strips out to make it easier to curve the fabric... then I just ironed it all on one at a time, starting with the top ruffle and working my way down to the turkey. 

7. I used hot glue to glue on two buttons for eyes and a triangle of orange for the beak {as I said before, I probably would sew them on next time}

and there you have it! cute little turkey shirts. hope that makes sense.

happy thanksgiving. I'm so thankful for the Drake family.

1 comment:

kristen said...

those are adorable!! I LOVE them!! thank you for bring the tradition to yalls family~ love it.