9.29.2023

wonderings...

I’ve been wondering a lot about Noah lately. When God asked him to build the boat. 

 

Things like…

Did Noah already know how to build? 

Was he a carpenter previously? Or maybe his dad was, so he grew up knowing about this field? 

Or did he go to school for boating or have any training in engineering? 

Did God call him to build because he was perfect for this job as a result of something in his background which had prepared him for this?

After God called him to ‘build a boat in the desert’ did he then send him to a conference about it or connect him with other builders who could support and encourage him? 

 

No. No, he didn’t.

and why does my brain think that’s the kind of stuff he’d need in a position like that? 

 

God told him to build a boat and then Noah just got to work. As far as I know, he didn’t think about it for six months, ask around, have people pray for his decision, take a course, prepare… he just started doing it. Trusting God had all those details figured out and would guide him a different way if he started to take a wrong step. “and Noah did all that the Lord had commanded of him.” Gen 7:5

 

When I read thru Noah’s story in Genesis and what God commanded of him, God did give him some very specific instructions on how to build the ark; what kind of wood to use, exactly what size it should be, etc. However, he also left some less significant parts of the instruction up to Noah: where to get the wood, where to build it, how many hours to work each day, how to handle those who wouldn’t have understood what he was doing… which was building a boat in the desert, where it never rains, like a weirdo. I’m sure the people around him had lots of comments and doubts or advice but instead of listening to what other people thought about it you know what the text says Noah did? 

 

“Noah walked with God.” Genesis 6:9 

 

That’s why God asked him to do it. Noah’s heart was seeking and following God. Walking with Him. Which means he knew the One giving the instruction. He trusted him completely. And followed him. And that was all he needed.

 

So, yeah, just thoughts I’ve been having about the thing I feel God is asking me to do. To me, the thing feels like building a boat in the desert. Coming out of nowhere. Makes no sense to me. Like “no evidence of rain so why would I ever build a boat?” kinda thing. 

 

And I’m wanting to wait until I have very specific instructions or direction. Or more credentials. or more time. more permission.

 

Excuses are SO easy to come up with. I’ve been justifying them for years…

I’m not good enough.

I don’t have enough training.

I’ve never done this before.

I don’t have enough exact direction or starting points. Or ending points, for that matter.

But I’m good at this other thing so why don’t I keep doing that? That feels ‘safe’.

 

The bottom line is that I’m flat out not trusting that GOD CAN DO IT. I can’t. but God can. Just like he did thru Noah. Noah heard God, trusted him and obeyed. God is the one who saw the big picture of the plan and used Noah, knowing he was ‘walking with him.’

 

If God’s calling me to do something, HE ALONE will do it. Not me. Nothing of my own strength or knowledge or will power or preparation… but if I’m walking with him, I can trust he’ll guide me and prepare me when I need it. Which is really the whole point -allowing God to work thru me- because then HE gets all the glory and anything that comes as a result is completely from him in the first place.

 

Is there anything more I need? Really, truly? But to walk with God. And take the next steps he’s asking me to take (as vague or specific as they might be). Then, trust he’ll guide me along the path wherever it goes. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.” Prov 3: 5-6

 

 

Heb 11:7 “by faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.”

 

 

________

The song ‘Build a Boat’ by Colton Dixon (featuring Gabby Barrett) brought me to tears on a jog a few weeks ago and it’s what starting me thinking (probably over-thinking) about Noah. The lyrics say:

 

I’ve been running thru the desert. 

Ain’t seen a cloud in forever over me

But I believe your rain is comin’

 

I’ve been hanging onto high hopes

Cause you’re the one who’s makin’ dry bones come to life

You’re the light I put my trust in

 

Every word you say is gonna come true

You will lead me to the promised land

Everything you say is gonna happen 

Even though I haven’t seen it yet

 

I will build a boat in the sand 

Where they say it never rains

I will stand up in faith, I’ll do anything it takes

With your wind in my sails, your love never fails or fades

I’ll build a boat in the desert blaze

 

And when the flood and the water starts to rise, yeah 

I’ll ride the storm cause I got you by my side

With your wind in my sails, your love never fails or fades

 

I’ll build a boat, so let it rain.

No comments: